Saturday, March 22, 2008

Where is this topic(gender play)coming from for me?

Notes to me:

-I cut off my waist-length for a combination of reasons, one of which happened to be: I didn’t look gay enough according to my homosexual friends. LGBTQ discrimination.

-DJ(on myspace) gave me some ideas:
*a need(especially in the technological age) for a place focused on connection instead of individuality, where we can build a sense of community and bridge gaps between people, and their own thoughts and desires.

-Where is this topic stemming from for me?
Gender play seems to have always been a part of my life. I love to play up my femininity in an exaggerated fashion with the clothing I make, dream and design. I feel like when I’m playing with gender, deconstructing it, shifting the shape of my gender, redefining what it means to be womyn in a societal context as well as in my own life, I am creating gender. Within my own gender constructs, I am creating space for gender, as well as space for the fluidity of gender, methodology at approaching gender, a vocabulary to describe new gender and a place for change. I write my own myths and compose collective legends pertaining to my gender, even as I challenge the prominent myths of gender before me. This process of creation, allowing myself to dream, doodle and redesign myself provides empowerment for me and, I feel, a space for others to feel safe playing with gender.
Especially in situations that seem to be composed of life and death, profit and starvation, normal and freak dichotomies.

-create a dialog around gender construction and play and how that connects to activism and life in general. (social constructions of gender, weed and psychology)

No comments: